Saturday, September 12, 2009

Camping trip - part three

On our way home, we stopped by crater lake for the day. It was beautiful. Not much to it though, it is just a big lake. We saw lots of exhibits on how it was created. In case your wondering...

it is not a crater, it was a volcano (Mount Mazama) that built up lots of lava under it in a bubble, and 7,700 years ago it exploded (out the sides)and the top of the mountain collapsed into the now empty bubble where the lava was builing up and created a calldera. It took 250 years to fill up with water and snow and is now the deepest lake in the US. It is 1,949 feet deep. CRAZY! (I learned all of this from the museums they had around the lake. If I was 12 or under I would have gotten a ranger badge, stupid age limits.)

Since I know you all read and learned something from that little lesson on crater lake here are some pictures as your reward.

Photobucket
It is blue like that because it is so deep. It was really awe striking and beautiful.

Photobucket
Blurry I know but that is what happens when you let a stranger take your picture and your auto focus is busted. (stupid. Ill explain later.) Atleast the lake is in focus.

Photobucket
Love Love Love this picture. I Love my boys, I Love oregon, I Love water, I Love being outdoors, I Love this picture!

Crater lake was fun, next time we will stay longer and go camping there. One afternoon was not enough.

4 comments:

Deidra Smith said...

Those pictures are beautiful. And thanks for the lesson on how the lake was formed:)

Michelene said...

Looks like so much fun. You guys are always going on awesome adventures. I love to see the pictures of where you've been. Very beautiful.

Sam and Josh said...

I love these pictures! I really wish we would have gotten to go with you!!! Maybe, next time!?!

Melissa said...

Wow! Gorgeous pictures of the lake. Can you swim in that lake? It looks very inviting, doesn't it?