Thursday, July 10, 2008

Why did we decide to have children?


I know all of you who have kids has asked yourself this question at least once, right?? Good, so I dont feel so guilty asking myself this question. I am sure that some of the people whom I respect most have been overly frustrated with their beautiful children, so I dont feel bad saying that I don't think I can do this anymore!!! Let me tell you why I ask these ridiculous questions and harbor these insane feelings. The story goes something like this...

7:30 pm - We usually try to wake kroten up around this time so that he is sleepy and ready for bed around 9 or 10. Last night, however, the little man was so tired that he was having a hard time waking up, he would just cry and fall back asleep in what ever position you put him in. So we decided to let him sleep. STUPID IDEA!

9:30 - Kroten got hungry. So i fed him. He was then awake. You must understand that it is now bed time for Jared and I.

10:30- during the movie Hook, kroten dozed to sleep, so in my excitement, I thought he was ready for bed. To his crib he went.

10:40- Screaming baby halts the progress I was making in going to sleep.

11:00- There is nothing on TV past 10 incase you are wondering.

11:30- Kroten starts to sleep. to his crib he goes.

11:40- Kroten wakes up.

11:45- Kroten dozes again.

11:46- in his crib, he starts to whine.

11:50- Kroten is hungry. (this is where I start to get frustrated)

11:58- kroten falls asleep. now I know he didn't eat a full meal, but I was hoping that he just wanted a snack and that he was really going to sleep. -HAHA- you have to learn from your mistakes right?

12:00 am- I go to bed AGAIN!!!

12:05- Kroten is now crying.

12:06- this is the point where I am asking myself the question at the beginning, and Jared who has to get up at 5:30 is now getting up to get the baby.

12:07- Kroten falls asleep and Jared puts him in his crib.

Now this event opened a new can of worms for my already emotional state. Now it goes from "WHY??" to "I am so inadequate. I am a bad mom. How on earth did you get him to fall asleep so fast?"

12:08- Jared, who is falling asleep, is trying to comfort me.

12:20 - You guessed it... Kroten is awake and crying.

12:21- I am crying

12:30- Jared suggest we feed him, and I say quite angrily "I just fed him."

12:31- Jared, Kroten and I sit in silence while Kroten again falls asleep and Jared and I get mader and mader that we can't fall asleep and that I am being so emotional.

12:35 - I am now telling my Heavenly Father that I dont think I can do this anymore.

12:40- Jared tells me to just take a deep breath. HA now this is an interesting twist to the story, and I hope some body in the world can relate. When Jared says this, he has the best intentions of helping me cope... when Jared says this, the little beast inside of me is screaming, "TAKE A BREATH? ....TAKE A BREATH? Why dont you shove your foot..." You get the idea.

12:45- we again try, unsuccessfully, to go to bed.

12:46-I am crying to jared about how I don't think I can do it, and how I want to drop kick the baby across the street.

12:47- Jared trying to stay calm and understanding tells me that it is ok.

12:47:35-I start to feel better.

12:50- Kroten's crying, again. I convince myself that maybe the baby is really hungry,and proceed to feed him.

12:55- Yep... Kroten is a sleep.

12:56- Remember that starting to feel better thing? It's gone.

12:57- Not making the mistake I made earlier, Jared wakes the baby up and we feed him some more.

1:00 - asleep again.

1:02- Diaper change.

1:05- Jared takes Kroten outside with a bottle to keep him awake for a full feeding.

1:15 - Kroten Burps, finally (that is a story for another time.)

1:30- Jared gets the watermelon out of the fridge for a snack.

1:35 - Kroten is finally finishing the bottle.

1:38- We think he is done eating, and he is asleep.

1:40- To the crib for what we hope is the very last time.

1:45- Jared is once again comforting me to the sound of silence over the baby monitor.

1:47- we both lie awake patiently waiting for some noise to come from the monitor.

1:50-At this time I came to a realization. Instead of saying that I couldn't do this anymore, I told my Heavenly Father that I don't think I can do this alone. I was pleading with him that Kroten be finally asleep.

1:52- I am begging for Jared's forgiveness and telling him while convincing myself that I am going to try harder to be more patient and do better at the things that are bugging me.

2:00- Jared asks what time it is, and I tell him it is 2.

I dont remember anything after this. I am hoping that is was all over, but I might have just slept through what ever happened next.

6:00- Jared wakes me up and tell me that he has to go to work now.

Okay so there are several morals to this story.

1. Don't let Kroten sleep after 7.
2. Never let them get away with a half feeding.
3. Wait to have kids until you are really really ready to give up everything you hold dear. Time with your husband, sleep, your sanity, your emotional stability, your pants etc. (not that I was not ready, but can you imagine if I had been any less ready?)
4. I know this is an underlying theme of the story, but Jared really is wonderful. I don't know how he does it, but he is so patient and so loving. He literally was dealing with two babies last night, and then he got up for work 3 hours later, what a man. I love him. Oh and he made dinner last night too. HE IS AMAZING!!
5. I can't do this alone. No one can. I imagine that Heavenly Father was chuckling while watching this story unfold with a bag of pop corn like it was a movie. He was just sitting there waiting for me to realize that I am not super mom, and that I need both my husbands and his comfort and help.

This is hard stuff. I honestly don't understand, after 9 months of sickness, pain, not being able to move and expanding waist lines, why don't they give us something easy?

13 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I know you don't know me. I am married to one of Jared's cousins, Dave Sutherland. Uncle Perry forwarded your blog to us. It is fun to see your photos and how you guys are doing. I am a mom of 3 young kids with one on the way...yes we are crazy!!! I really enjoyed reading this post. ALL MOMS out there (that don't have a nanny) can relate to your post. It is amazing how sleep deprivation can affect your sanity!!! I am sure other moms have told you the same thing...it only gets better from here. Each age has its positives and negatives, enjoy each one. Each phase only happens once. Yes, becoming parents is the ultimate sacrifice. Dave and I were married for 5 years before we added children. You can never truly be ready for this phase of life. Hang on tight and enjoy the roller-coaster ride. Soon Kroten will be in Kindergarten and you will wonder where the time went :) Email me sometime elizabethjo@cox.net

Margaret said...

Kristen! I love you. Hang in there. This is totally normal! No one really warned me of how crazy things would get before I had my first child. But believe me I've been there....four times. ☺ It does get better. Really!

And, it's not your fault Kroten's crying. Just tell yourself this is "age appropriate behavior" because it is.

Jared is a great guy! I'm glad you two have each other.

Mr. and Mrs. Hillarious said...

Been there done that...know the feeling. Still waiting for it to get better myself. :) You can do it!

Margaret said...

Thanks so much for your sweet comment! I loved our talks too!!! And, I'd love to have you three back in Eugene at some point!☺

Hey...again with the baby advice. I have to recommend a book that REALLY helped me with my kids sleep issues. It's called "On Becoming Babywise" by the Gary Ezzo. I actually didn't hear about it till I had Lauren but it SAVED me! And, I wish someone had told me about it when I had Lowden. Now, it isn't for everyone but it worked for me and quite a few of my friends. It talks about how the first things we teach our babies are how to sleep and eat. Anyway, try it out and see.

Kirsten said...

Because I have kids and they are falling apart so I was just able to skim your post. My best advice to you is trust your mommy gut, never be afraid to ask for help, and always always take a time out if you need it. Babies are a HUGE adjustment in ever aspect of the mothers life, personal, marrige, you name it, it affects it. Don't doubt yourself as a mom, I know you are doing a outstanding job. My book recomend for you is the Happiest Baby on The Block, it was outstanding. I love you and I am sending you a huge hug, now I have to go tame my monkeys, wish me luck.

Shanna said...

Ok if it makes any difference at all to you... I think you are a supermom. I love reading your blog and seeing how much you love your little one and laughing about your crazy adventures (I didn't laugh about your tough night though!). I remember how much fun we had in Nauvoo and I just have to let you know what a great friend and example you are to me! Thanks for making me laugh and for your friendship! I love your blog... where do you get the cute backgrounds?

Katie said...

Kristen, I am so glad you shared this and that so many people commented with advice. You are lucky to have so many friends!! Thanks for being so honest, and its true, you are a super mom!!

The Big B's said...

Hey guys we have all been there! I am going to have to go with Meg on what she said about the book "On Becoming Baby Wise" We read it and did it. We also told Doug and Gina to check it out. We swear by it! It is a life saver. We didn't do everything it said, but we did do the feeding schedule and I know this will be hard but, let him cry. If you would like me to send you our copy I would be happy to do that. Anything to help a friend!

BECKY said...

Holy crap this was great. I loved the minute-by-minute play-by-play! I'm not so sure that I'll be an emotionally stable mother...

I loved the morals. :) And the question at the end.

Unknown said...

This is an adorable blog. You are more patient than I would be. Keep up the good work hun!

Unknown said...

kristen, i love you! i love kroten, and i love jared.
i know you have a hard time with him, but im so happy you guys decided to have him,
there is a family in our ward here. they have 9 kids of their own, and adopted 12 orphans. the father died while we were in utah. leaving a wife and 21 children. then one of the kids got sick, went to the hospital, and died wed. morning.about 2 weeks later. can you imagine that? to make their days worse, the day Ryan died (the son) it was 2 of the kids' birthdays, and the day before, they found out one of the girls' birthmothers died.
its hard for me to remember sometimes; that things could always be worse, things i think are rough, are no where close to what other people are going through.
we love you kristen, and what are for jared.

Teresa said...

Motherhood is stinkin' hard at times, and you are learning this first-hand. It will get easier again, but when you're in the middle of sleep deprivation it's terribly hard to hold onto that thought. You are an awesome woman and a wonderful mom! You can do this!

Introspective Steph said...

i gotta say reading ur blog...made me start to rethink having a baby...and then i was reading someone else's blog about how youre never ready to have kids and it will be hard at each age...and I thought ya know she's right. And so i'm back on the baby train... but, it sure is taking a long long time! Each month we hope taht maybe this will be the month and each month we are dissappointed. I'm thinking about getting the ovulation thermometer...did you guys try that? Jared told me that it took you guys like a year... Any suggestions that you guys did that could help us? (w/o being embarrassed telling me that is). And I think you're a great mother...just from reading ur blogs! You are a Strong Woman and Mother! I'm sure i'll have to take some anti-depressant of some sort... Good LUck!