Monday, July 26, 2010

what's in a name?

Photobucket

Lots of people have asked about the name. Probably because it was shrouded in secrecy, it took us to the last possible second to decide and because it is so unique. So I will explain.

It is pronounced with three syllables. So it sounds like kem.eh.ree.

Jared made it clear that any subsequent children's names will now too have to begin with a K. He also made "boy, girl, done." very clear.

Coming up with her name was a process of melting together several other names that we had heard and liked. It started with a talk that President Uchdorf gave in General Conference about a man named Zimri. I liked the name, but it wasn't right. Jared and I both like k names so we played with Kimrie and it eventually evolved into kemry. Later we were looking through genealogy books and came across the name Emery, loved it and added it to our list. Then somehow I thought to add them together and bam...Kemery, I don't like the mery part because it reminds me of christmas so we played with LOTS of spelling and about an hour after she was born settled on the current spelling.

We truely didn't have a name picked out till right before the surgery. I was not making it up when I said we had no name picked. We had a whole list a few weeks ago and had narrowed it down to three names... Emery, Kemiry, and Rigney. So far everyone has said that they are glad we chose the way we did. We loved the name Rigney, and seriously didn't eliminate it till about an hour before she was born.

K is her middle name just like J is Kroten's middle name. J for Jared and K for Kristen.

she has already taken on her name and is totally little Kemiry K.

5 comments:

Katie said...

So sweet, what a story. I love love love it. Emery is on my list for a girl or a boy. She looks like an angel!

Mr. and Mrs. Hillarious said...

I'm confused..."boy, girl, done"...does that mean you're done having kids...because right before that you said subsequent children have to begin with K?

LOVE that picture!! Very interesting story behind her name. I love the middle name thing, too. :)

Deidra Smith said...

that sounds a lot like how Brancyn's name evolved. Funny how when you finally get it to work, it just 'feels' right. I love it!

Amanda said...

I think Miss Kemiry K looks a lot like her big brother. They have the same adorable little mouth.

rachel said...

love love love the name!!!