Thursday, August 13, 2015

Maui - day 7 Iao valley and Lahaina




Before heading to the beach to do nothing, we went to iao valley. Iao is carved out of the mountains of Maui and gets 400 inches of rainfall per year. To put  that into perspective, my home town in Oregon which is known as being very rainy, get 50 inches of rainfall per year. Iao was super green and lush. It was beautiful. I felt small next to the huge mountains and valleys. The stories of war and kings and royalty that once lived here  was incredible. It is said to be a very sacred place.  I really love all the pride and history of Hawaii. There is also a lot of legend and myth. Cool stories. 
 
 















After Iao we went to Lahaina. I origianally did not want to visit there since it is acrossed the island and a little bit of a drive, but I am glad we went. 

There is a banyan tree that takes up an acre of ground and is 100 years old. It looks like severa different trees, but if you look close, they are all conected and growing out of the middle trunk. 



My brother told us that while in Lahaina we had to go to a resteraunt cakes cool cats. I was a little skeptical about a vintage dinner in Hawaii, I would have rather gone to sea food or Hawaiian food. But we went because he said it was good. HOLY COW. I will dream about this burger. No other burger will ever compare to this burger. I am not exaggerating in any way, I inhaled this burger and only let my husband have a few bites. He ordered the chili dog and loved it. 

Seriously!!! If you find yourself in Lahaina on Maui and your hungry, which you likely will be, EAT AT COOL CATS!!!!!!!






Oops, I didn't have time to take a before picture, it was gone before I thought too. 

Also in Lahaina there are lots of little shops and high end galleries. If I was rich, I would have dropped $5000 on this photogrpah in the lik gallery. It is beautiful. 



Then we went to Napili beach in Lahaina. This beach had almost no waves and the water was crystal clear. It was beautiful and had amazing snorkeling. There were valleys and canyons in the reef. I was afraid an octopus was going to jump out at me. It was a great and relaxing day. 






I am glad we made it over to Lahaina. 

No comments: