Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Kem vs. the opthamologist.

Kem has had a goopy, nasty, watery, boogery eye since the day we brought her home from the hospital. I tried everything to get it to go away. Then the doctor told me that it is "just a clogged tear duct." Like it is no big deal. Ok, I know it is not life threatening, but I swear if one more person tells me that my child has an eye booger, I swear I will go kung foo on them. And if another well meaning mom sticks her germ filled finger in my babies eye to fish out said booger, I will not hesitate to chop said finger off. 
This picture is a good description of what is going on...
You know how your nose runs when you cry, that is cause the tears drain into your nose. And kem's is blocked. So the tears that we all produce daily to keep our eyes wet, normally drain into this tube, kem's drain down her face. Because of the blockage she is more prone to infections, hence the boogers. 

So the pediatrician sent us to the opthamologist (eye doc.) I was super nervous that they were going to do the procedure that day and it was going to be the most traumatic thing I ever had to put one of my children through. But we got there, and it was a BIG eye doctor. He wasn't big, but it was an eye doc for big people, like adults. Lots of big equipment and such, and my little kem just took it all in. She is just so cute! 
Anyway, long story short, he said lets wait till she is a year old for two reasons. 1. it might go away... YAY. 2. she will have to be put to sleep. (for a 30 second procedure. RISKY!) 
So we will wait. And I will update you sooner than later!

6 comments:

Burky's said...

Levi's stayed till two weeks before his surgery date! I hope hers goes away too! I totally understand those Ricky fingers and the constant tear stained face. Good luck!!

Katie said...

She is so dang cute! I'm glad you got that picture, how funny! Hopefully it goes away soon!

BECKY said...

i SO hope it goes away!!
i love how every pic you put of her,we'd have no idea she's got these boogers :)

Kendra said...

My little brother Tyler had to have that procedure when he was a year old. But his eyes were really bad, it was both of them and he woke up with them crusted shut almost every morning. We had to have a warm wash cloth on hand when we went to go get him out of his bed or he would scream until we got his eyes open. The procedure was really fast and the only recovery was that he was a little groggy from the anesthesia. I hope Kem's goes away on it's own, but if not, she'll do great!!!

Mr. and Mrs. Hillarious said...

My oldest had a goopy eye for a good part of his first year and then it finally cleared up on it's one. There is hope! We just had to keep putting warm compresses on it and wiping his eye until it finally disappeared. Good luck!

Margaret said...

Did the doctors tell you it helps to massage next to the tear duct?

Something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4000uJDRags

It doesn't really show it well. But, this did help my babies.