Monday, August 24, 2009

72 Hour kits

I am extremely hesitant (afraid is probably a better word) to get all of our food storage. We have a little, but I would like it to be one of my strengths.

So starting small, I thought 72 hour kits was a good place to begin. Actually we have been meaning to put some together for a long time. I found this cool idea for a milk jug 72 hour kit. I am super excited about it and pretty proud of myself for getting it done. It wasn't too bad, I don't know why I put things off. Once it is done, it all seems so easy, and it is comforting to know that we are getting prepared.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Check out these AWESOME food storage websites. They have answered all my questions and eased a lot of my fears about getting prepared.
Every Day Food Storage
Food Storage Made Easy

10 comments:

Rachel Mary said...

Great idea! I should start getting something around for my family too!!

Introspective Steph said...

We do the same thing! I think it's exactly the same...

But, I also make a habit of going to the food storage place in Columbus to stock up on cans and bags of stuff at least once a year. It can be pricey...but i think it's worth it.

And I'm going to invest in a rain barrel for the eaves, so when it rains it catches it. It won't be drinking water, but it will be good for taking a bath and what not.

Good luck.

Deidra Smith said...

Way to go! I was intimidated for a long time too, but it's true that once you get started it's not so bad. Now the next thing I need to learn is how to rotate things better. I just don't think about it:)

BECKY said...

That is a great start! I like it... thanks for sharing!! I like that they're small and attainable... not too daunting of a task. Now I just need to do it!

I couldn't get those links at the bottom to work though???

Deidra Smith said...

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check it out.

Michelene said...

That's so good of you Kristen. I like the milk jug ideas. Sounds so easy. Maybe we'll have to give it a try.

Lakes are Great said...

i will jump on the food storage band wagon someday...soon...

Kirsten said...

Way to go lady you are such a domestic goddess. You inspire me.

Teresa said...

I must confess, we do not have our 72-hour kits. Thank you for making this post. The milk jug kids actually look they will be FUN to do. I'll check back in when I'm finished. Thanks for the encouragement, chicka! Good job on getting yours done!

Teresa said...

Me again! Did you get your wing stoves and pellets locally? If so, where?

Thanks!