Thursday, March 06, 2008

A tribute to my mother on my Birthday.

So yesterday was my birthday and this is how the first half of my day went; (I will tell the last half in a different post.) Jared woke me up at 6 am, he is wonderful. He made pancakes and they were so yummy, unfortunately I didn't have class till 11 and therefore could have slept in, but he didn't know that. My day began (at 6) when I realized that the dishes hadn't been done for about a week, the living room was a disaster, the bed needed to be made, and the laundry needed to be folded and put away. The bathroom needed to be scrubbed, I had no idea what we were having for dinner, and on top of that, I had class. It was while I was debating weather to spend my birthday doing these various chores, that my thoughts wandered to days gone past. Birthdays for me have always been a big deal, I had to have a big party, with lots of people and presents, cake, ice cream etc. Something my mom did that was special for us was that we got to pick what was going to be for dinner on our birthday, chicken divan, pizza, fajitas, what ever we wanted, she would make it. I remember Dad's birthday was right after Christmas, but she still, every year, made an effort to make it a special day. She would make a cake, buy and wrap him some socks, and we would sing happy birthday. You get what I am trying to get at, it seemed that Mom always went out of her way to make our birthdays special. But then as I was making the bed in preparation to fold the laundry, I realized, I don't really remember any of Mom's birthdays. I don't remember having a cake or singing happy birthday. Who cooked Mom's specially selected birthday dinner...her? What was she doing on her special day, probably the laundry and the dishes and scrubbing the bathroom. You get my point right? So I raise my birthday toast to moms, especially mine, who still have dishes, diapers and dinners to attend to on their birthdays. I can't wait for next year!

1 comment:

Teresa said...

As a mom reading your post... how very, very sweet. I hope that your mom reads your blog, so that she'll see this special tribute. It's amazing how perspectives (and appreciation) about parents begin to change once you become a parent yourself. Good job, Kristen!