Saturday, August 18, 2012

Girls Camp

This summer has been CRAZY... if you have not figured that out from my lack of posting, I will just tell you, we are staying busy. 
One crazy thing from this summer was girls camp, it was over a month ago, and I still feel like I am recovering from it. Don't tell people, but I just finished unpacking. 

I love girls camp! 

I have gone to the same girls camp almost every year since I was 12.  I love it so much that I beg them to let me be a unit leader. This year, however, they asked me to be in charge of certification. That meant that I bunked with all the stake leaders. You must know that when I was a girl at camp, we called the stake leaders the "oldie moldies." I truly did feel a little aged.


There is just something about being away from home and all the distractions of the world and singing silly songs at the top of your lungs that is super exhilarating to me.

I thought that I would miss working so closely with the Young Women, but I felt like working on certification gave me plenty of opportunity to work closely with the girls and not just one unit, but the whole camp. I was very nervous about it, but I ended up loving every minute of it. 

My brain baby this year was what I called "rain barrel of knowledge." The theme this year was Noah's ark and "flood the world with light." So I came up with this idea and it was a blast. Every time the girls signed off a certification requirement (kinda like merit badges at scout camp) they could put a cup of water in a 52 gallon water barrel. I had it calculated to overflow by the end of the week, but it felt like it would never get there. But sure enough by day three it was nearly full... 
Also... every time they put a cup of water in the barrel, they also could put a name of a leader that they wanted the barrel to be dumped on, and at the end of the week those names were tallied and...

Obviously the entire 52 gallon bucket could not be dumped all at once, but 8 girls were able to share  light that had been drawn from the rain barrel of knowledge. 

IT WAS AWESOME!!

Oh, and I made a cheese cake in the dutch oven. I know, awesome right?



1 comment:

Katie said...

Oh girls camp, so fun, so fun : ) That rain barrel thing is awesome, what a great idea! I'm a big fan of singing silly tunes too lol